Welcome to Vietnam Bird News

Bird news from Vietnam, from Vietnam's resident and visiting birders.

13 September 2010

Park/Island - Hanoi

Hi guys,

Short stroll Sunday to the Lenin Park : 2 females Yellow-Rumped Fly and 1 Asian Paradise Fly skulking in the thickets.
Red River Island : Some Pacific Golden Plovers...

2-3 Green Sandpipers...

1 Common Greenshank...

Flocks of Yellow Wagtails (males macronyx)

+ 1 Purple Heron, some Common Sandpipers, small flocks of White Wagtails leucopsis, 2 Oriental Skylarks and some Paddyfield Pipits in the cultivation, some Quails/Buttonquails sp and 1 Snipe Sp...
And 1 Wryneck... in a cage, caught 2 weeks ago by the son of the family where I park my bike. I have already started the first round of negotiations for its release...
Sébastien




4 comments:

  1. Nice pics again! And good luck with the wryneck...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Florian but I think I'll have to pay a ransom to free it... A good way to increase my Karma !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sébastien,

    great pics! Love it.
    My first thought about the Ringed Plover behind the Pac Golden Plover was Little - but then again it seemed to have reddish legs, large amounts of black around the neck and it comes across as being a bit stuckier.
    What do the others think?
    Please, don't buy any birds (or other wildlife). As hard as it is, leave them there or report to ENV (if there's a bit more than 'just' a Wryneck in the cages).
    It'll be dead by now anyway. Can't imagine they can keep a Wryneck alive for more than a couple of days... Sad.

    Cheers,
    Falk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliment Falk, but I think my pics are just ok, not more. Only good to remember of a nice sighting.
    you`re true Falk I will not pay money but I will try to convince them. The Wryneck I have seen was vigorous and feeding with caterpillars. I think there is not a big hunting pressure on this island, mostly cage trap. Never heard gun shot there. Why ? so many quails at twilight !

    cheers
    Sebastien

    ReplyDelete