Welcome to Vietnam Bird News

Bird news from Vietnam, from Vietnam's resident and visiting birders.

8 September 2010

Hanoi parks

Hi all,



Seen again, but this time at the Reunification Park (ex-Lenin Park), 1 Ceicercus Warbler. And again the same question : what's your name ? Frustrating...



This bird was easy to find, to approach and to shoot, moving in low vegetation, silently. If you are interesting : eastern gate of the park - street Nguyen Dinh Chieu -, you walk 50m, turn left, 100m more. There are public toilets, it's here !



In our moozy-corner of the Botanical Garden, brief view of 1 Cyornis Flycatcher male high in the branches (Hainan Blue or White-Tailed).



Sébastien

3 comments:

  1. Hi Falk,

    I have read your comment already but I have deleted it with all my post when trying to erase one photo. A little bit angry because this comment was interesting, so please write it again if you have time.

    In fact, this bird had no wing-bar. I was very attentive to this detail and the 5-6 good shots I got confirm what I have seen with the binoculars. Maybe the last solution is the DNA analysis !

    Sebastien

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my limited experience Grey-crowned prefers to skulk in low vegetation, and I agree that this bird has no wing-bar. So I would certainly lean towards Grey-crowned.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, no problem. I thought (actually more a feeling!) this bird could be a Bianchi's Warbler. On the first pic I saw the bird seemed to have a slight wing bar but apparently it hasn't. Still the very light outer primaries and the diffus-looking bordering between grey cap and greenish cheeks remind me of the Bianchi's I've seen. Maybe I'm completely wrong on this.
    I found Bianchi's skulking too but could well be less a skulker than Grey-crowned. Khong biet.
    Cheers
    Falk
    P.S. Is White-tailed Flycatcher a migrant?

    ReplyDelete