Welcome to Vietnam Bird News

Bird news from Vietnam, from Vietnam's resident and visiting birders.

18 November 2011

Vinh Tuy Bridge/Hanoi 18-11-2011

Short end afternoon stroll along the mudflats and sandbars at the north of Vinh Tuy Bridge. Always many Kentish Plovers (100-150) and Temminck's Stints (30-40+) scattered over all the area, so difficult to count, + some skittish Common Greenshanks.
The highlight was 3 Great Knots (!) and at least 15 Citrine Wagtails along only 100 meters of mudflats. Never seen so many Citrine W. together in my life ! I spotted also 2 black-legged small Calidris foraging with the Temminck's S.; I am almost certain it was Red-necked Stints.
Probably not so many Great Knots have been observed venturing inland in Vietnam. What do you think ?

Recently, a bulldozer opened a track to access the sandbars and extract sand. Yesterday, dozens of 4x4 invaded the area. If I had a bazooka...

Cheers,
Sebastien

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sebastien,

    Definitely a very good record but I think the mergansers were a bit better, you're slacking off or what?
    No, seriously, I think the Great Knots are a good record but let's face it, the coast is "only" 80kms away (as the Great Knot flies). Don't want to spoil your excitement though, as it is a nice record, I'd say.

    What about the Kentish Plovers - any White-faced amongst them? Still waiting for the Long-toed Stints...

    Cheers,
    Falk
    P.S. All I can offer at the moment is Red Junglefowl and Striated Yuhina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Falk,

    Come there and check the waders with me ! As you noticed during the trip in Xuan Tuy I am not really a big expert of waders !.., so there is maybe one or 2 goodies to discover.

    Sebastien

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in Hanoi on Tuesday - do you have some time to waste then? I'd like to check out Vinh Tuy.
    Falk

    ReplyDelete