Welcome to Vietnam Bird News

Bird news from Vietnam, from Vietnam's resident and visiting birders.

16 November 2011

6 Mergansers at Hanoi ! 16-11-2011


Hi all,

Another BIG surprise at the foot of Vinh Tuy Bridge, late in the day : 6 Scaly-sided Mergansers paddled in the shallow water, between sandbars!
They were not there when I arrived at around 16 pm so they probably landed as I was scanning the groups of waders.
I managed to get some shots. Because of the distance and the poor light, scaling on flanks is not visible on the pics; but I spotted clearly this feature with the scope.
Not the best photos in the world but enough I think to confirm the ID and validate this record.

When I leave the place at dusk, they were roosting on the sand.
This beautiful duck is classified as Endangered (EN) on the IUCN Red List. More informations here.


Cheers,

Sébastien Delonglée

4 comments:

  1. Wow, great stuff Sebastien, yet another fantastic record from the Red River! Oh to be in Hanoi right now ...

    Cheers,

    Richard Craik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy s***, that's a cosmic mindf***er, if I may use Bill Oddie's words.
    What an awesome record AND good pics!
    I can't believe I'm working this weekend...
    So so envious...
    Great job, Sebastien!
    Cheers
    Falk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all,
    This morning I checked again the area. Gone ! Maybe they will come back there, a really good place for roosting, quiet and safe.
    Lucky days ! Touch Wood !

    Sebastien

    I almost forgot : 3 Long-billed Plovers (2+1) today 17th November along the channel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI All!

    Greats with those birds.

    I have come back Vinh Tuy this afternoon but only Grey Herons and some Termminck Stints.

    Cheers!

    Hung Le

    ReplyDelete