Welcome to Vietnam Bird News

Bird news from Vietnam, from Vietnam's resident and visiting birders.

11 May 2015

Residents and (few) migrants at Ba Vi / 2-3th May



One week ago, I headed to Ba Vi National Park and spent 2 days there.  I chose Ba Vi because there were lots of tourist during these days at Tam Dao. Of course Ba Vi attract also lots of tourist but they generally avoid my secrete place hehe..., right under the ruins of the French church (at ca 650m asl).
The first day was not too easy, I arrived at 2pm and soon found a singing male Hainan Blue Flycatcher. Not so long after, I spotted 2 other individuals. Some common birds in fruiting trees include Puff-throated and Black Bulbuls, Black-naped Oriole - the latter being a lifer. Before the sunset, I got some shots of a male Fork-tailed Sunbird. 
The day after, I woke up early and went to an alt. of 400m, cannot go higher because of the fog...  I spotted there a pair of Crimson Sunbird, a Grey-chinned Minivet, a pair of Striped Tit Babblers... After that, I saw a Green-billed Malkoha perched on a dead branch, but too far for a good shot. 
At 10am, when the fog lifted, I went back to the place under the church. 
For the second time I saw a male Red-headed Trogon perched 100m away. I quickly took out my camera but as I was about to pull the trigger, some Drongos mobbed it, and it flew off, never to be seen again. Arghhh, f........g drongos! 
One hour after, I was more than happy to discover a nest of Red-vented Barbet. I hide myself in my camouflaged tent for more than 2 hours. Had some good shots of this lifer :D  But I didn’t want to make the birds uncomfortable, so after that, I left quickly the place. 
After having a very fast lunch, I stayed at the feet of a fruiting tree and waited for some more birds.  Same stuff: Black and Puff-throated Bulbuls, Black-naped Oriole… But finally, 2 lifers came for a nice ending birding trip: an Orange-bellied Leafbird and a stunning male Siberian Thrush. 

Le Viet Tuan Hoang

singing male Hainan Blue Flycatcher

Black-naped Oriole

male Fork-tailed Sunbird

Red-billed Blue Magpie


Red-vented Barbet at nest

Puff-throated Bulbul

Black Bulbul

male Orange-bellied Leafbird

male Siberian Thrush

No comments:

Post a Comment