Welcome to Vietnam Bird News

Bird news from Vietnam, from Vietnam's resident and visiting birders.

20 April 2015

Passage migrant Japanese Sparrowhawk - 19th April/Hanoi



I finally got my first shot of a perched Japanese Sparrowhawk. I'm just extremely pleased that I at least got a shot of one finally haha. It was a very quick "oh my gosh there it is quick take-a-picture-as-fast-as-you-can before it flies away" shot. Luckily I did manage to get the shot off right before it flew off. It is an adult female.

Sparrowhawks are very shy, they always see you before you see them and fly away as fast as they can. Very hard to get good looks at them. Almost impossible to approach. If you are lucky enough, one individual will land in a nearby tree. If you are very lucky, it will allow you a few seconds to take your photo. The chance of that ever happening in a forest is very very small. But in a 2 ha wooded patch, there are definitely grounds for hope!
Accipiter species are not uncommon around the city in both passage periods but almost all my sightings remained unidentified.

No comments:

Post a Comment