Welcome to Vietnam Bird News

Bird news from Vietnam, from Vietnam's resident and visiting birders.

15 October 2014

Pied Harriers roam around the capital city


Hi everyone,

Last Saturday I had a free afternoon so I spent a couple of hours looking for birds at Yen My, Thanh Tri district, Hanoi.
After some shots of common birds like White Wagtails, Tailorbirds and Little Egrets I bumped into a pair of Pied Harriers, one of them holding a prey. Suddenly the other one came and attacked the first one. They were about 100m away so I couldn’t get a great shot but that’s enough to see what happened. Pied Harriers are simply stunning birds!

After that, I came back to Vietnam Forest Museum (there is a 2 ha nice wooded area there) where a fellow birder was waiting me. We found a Spangled Drongo,some Asian Brown and Taiga Flycatchers, a Common Kingfisher, lots of Red-whiskered Bulbuls, a flock of a dozen Grey-headed Canary Flycatchers, a couple of White-Crested Laughingthrushes. My friend told me he often  sees them there but he couldn’t photograph them yet... Probably 2 escapees, but nice to see them free, not in a cage!

Happy birding everyone :)

Le Viet Tuan Hoang

male Pied Harriers

Spangled Drongo

Grey-headed Canary Flycatcher

White-crested Laughingthrush

No comments:

Post a Comment