Welcome to Vietnam Bird News

Bird news from Vietnam, from Vietnam's resident and visiting birders.

14 December 2011

Pitta, TamDao NP HQ, 10-12-2011



Hi all,

A colleague of mine saved a bird that trapped itself inside a bike shed - the bird appeared to be in good condition and was released.

This happened right next to the National Park Head quarters, and the bird turned out to be a pitta!
My colleague took two pics (of not so great quality) - first thoughts were, Blue-rumped Pitta. But then again, it looks very warm brown around the head. A very late this year's Blue-rumped Pitta or Rusty-naped?
What do you think?

Cheers,
Falk

3 comments:

  1. Nice save!
    I have no books here, but looking at other photos, I think that ligher color of the cheeck, below the eyestripe is a feature of Blue-naped
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, I'm not sure myself but I couldn't find any source that pointed out lighter cheeks in Blue-naped Pitta as a distinctive feature. I know that Blue-rumped Pittas can have relatively light cheeks as well but the rufous head pattern confused me.
    If I would have to put my money on it I'd say Blue-rumped BUT...
    Cheers
    Falk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue-rumped pitta

    ReplyDelete